Saturday, March 2, 2013

FASHION...Spring is here.

Yes, I know. You still see snow on the ground. Technically it is STILL "Winter". 
Walk into any retail store and they have moved on to spring. 
HELLO, pretty floral prints,
 Soft Pinks, 
Purples, and Teals.
 Dresses , flip flops and swimwear are all hitting the shelves. 
What to buy you ask? 
I'll tell you...
CORE PIECES!

The key to any good wardrobe is stocking up on your basic core pieces.
Core pieces are easy...a good pair of jeans/Capri's, denim jacket, slacks, blazers, scarves, and belts. Invest your money in those types of items.
 A good denim jacket can cost you anywhere from $40 and up, but will last you years in your closet.

When I buy my "TRENDY" pieces I tend to go for a bargain.
I find stores like Forever 21, H&M, Old Navy and Target have cute items that are extremely affordable. I buy my "trend" pieces at low price point stores knowing that it may only last me through the current season.

I also love keeping my jewelry trendy.
 I can normally get complete sets (necklace, earrings, and bracelet) for under $20.
I seem to find the best deals at Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21.
Please keep in mind that these are cheap items that may break.
I tend to go through my jewelry trends faster then normal, so if your looking for quality that will last then pass on these stores.


Lets get back on track...

We are talking about basics. Here I'm using a core white denim jack,  tan and black striped cotton dress (Calvin Klein), Carmel colored braided belt. In my closet these are all core pieces. I added gold/black printed jewelry as my trend.

Necklace and Earrings are from Old Navy.

Hop into spring with a floral blouse and salmon colored ankle skinnies.  I added my core pieces (white denim jacket, teal scarf, Carmel braided belt) to finish off the look. 
 Add a statement necklace to any outfit to dress up your look.


I kept the trend pieces and  incorporated different core pieces. I have had this long denim jacket for 2 years...I still wear it on cool spring days. By adding a belt around your natural waist ( under the bust) you create an "hour glass" look.   Just by changing out your core pieces you create a completely different outfit.  
Necklace scarves are a quick easy accessory.

Night out! My basics are a pleated white blouse, black cotton sequin skirt and wide flower elastic belt.  Add any colored/printed blazer or cardigan with a statement necklace for the trend elements.
Sequins add a flirty and fun element to any outfit.


Use necklace extenders to add more length. I  added 2 extenders to this necklace to create longer lines.

Why not? Pair a bright bold print shoe with your outfit for a flirty and sexy look.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok love the outfits....

Lori said...

Lots of great ideas. Was just thinking about spring!

Ashlie Dalton said...

Cute Melissa!

Shirl said...

I love the blog Melissa. It is just what the REAL woman is looking for....